Village tree saved!

You may have heard that our much-loved tree in the centre of the village has been the subject of debate with the county’s tree officers. It was condemned as being diseased and not thriving and for a while we feared it might have to be felled and replaced with a sapling. But the old chestnut did not lose a twig during the recent storms and is now again in full bud. Following further discussions, the county tree team has agreed to leave it in place for a few years more and rather than cut it down, prune it vigorously instead. Good news for once!


Litter collection

A big thank you to everyone who turned out and helped at the annual litter pick – as usual, familiar faces.

The day’s treasures included a wc cistern, four tyres (all in different locations), most of a car (scattered), a large container of something or other and a plastic bin of paint, plus the usual endless bottles and cans flung from passing cars and vans.

The medal goes to the Howland family who tackled the appalling verges of Emmer Green Road and were the ones to point out the cistern…

We hugely appreciated the email we received from Caversham cyclists who passed us during the litter pick: " A big shout out to those residents that were litter picking this morning. Thank you for keeping Binfield Heath so nice. Thank you for sparing the time."

And thank you from us too!


The Scout Hut

The scout hut, damaged in an arson fire, is now being repaired. For more info or if you would like to make a donation, contact

Drug-driving in Binfield Heath

Youngsters smoking pot have been spotted round the village, often in the recreation ground at night, or in cars nearby clearly smoking weed. The police are aware but if you see anything, do report it.

Parish Council meetings

These have been suspended temporarily owing to corona virus. If you have any issues to report or need any information please contact the clerk Mandy Sermon at Parish council responsibilities will be handled by a delegated committee of councillors consisting of Paul Rollason (chair), Elisabeth Ransom (vice chair), Hugh Lacey and Susan Summerland.

Village newsletter

Marina Hart would like to hear from anyone with news or information of interest to local residents, on Most of the newsletters are emailed to save printing and delivery, so do let her have your contact details if you would like to receive one. Privacy information is available from her and on this website. Newsletters are uploaded to this site. We hope you enjoy reading them and find them useful - and please do contact her with contributions for the next one if you have any news to share.

Reporting issues round the parish

Fly-tipped rubbish continues to be a problem locally and has to be collected by District Council contractors at considerable extra cost to the taxpayer. If you see fly-tipping - or the results of it - please report it online to Similarly, potholes have been a big problem this year. If you are aware of one locally please contact and tell them the area, address if possible and postcode. It's the fastest way to get results.


Do make sure your home and outbuildings are securely locked and tell your neighbours if you are going away. Report anything suspicious to Thames Valley Police on 101 or in an emergency call 999.

Keep up to date

From this page you can see diary events in the village at a glance, with a link to more information if you need it. Check which bin is going out this week and look up the bus timetable or report potholes in our roads. You can comment on planning applications direct with SODC at the click of a button, without knowing the application number. Receiving occasional news mail-outs from the Parish Council on matters that affect you is the fastest and most efficient way to find out what's going on in your parish. If you change your email address just sign up again with the new one - you don't have to delete the old one. If you no longer wish to hear news from us in this form please let us know and we will delete your email details. Visit the village Facebook page to connect with friends and neighbours and join in the chat. If you would like to contact the Parish Council direct send a mail to or write to the parish clerk, Mandy Sermon at

Data protection

Regulations concerning data protection have changed. The Parish Council has prepared documents which reflect and clarify these alterations and how they affect you. Please look at the information, on the Parish Council page, which explains how the council uses and stores any information concerning you. (See also Parish Council minutes May, June and July 2018.)